Friday, September 27, 2013

Rock On!

 
Transmission 7913
 
As the opening week celebration of our 8th year closes, the special musical magic of RFW helps to create this spontaneously connected collection starring Pixies, David Bowie, Cactus, Johnny Dowd, ZZ Top, Betty Davis, Bruce Springsteen, Matt Nathanson, Warren Zevon, Buddy Miles and The Allman Brothers Band!

T7913 is a 97mb 160k mp3 1:24:49 in length made loud to be played louder!

"I came to finish paying my bill"

RFW
 
 

*Radio Free Boston - The Rise and Fall of WBCN is the new book about the late-great legendary station in Boston where I got my professional start. It was written by Carter Alan - author, musicologist, personality-plus, one of my oldest radio brothers and a friend for over 35 years (ask him how we first met!).. Carter is currently the MD and mid-day host at WZLX in Boston. Find out more here and buy a copy today to help build a wing to his cottage. He even mentioned me!

 
 
** Maxanne Satori was the afternoon host on WBCN during my impressionable teen years. I became her in-studio intern on the 50th floor of the Prudential Building in 1975 and she,  by doing what she did so well, convinced me that I was going to make radio my career. I cannot begin to tell you how many bands she turned me (and all of New England) on to - I had a mad crush on her as did most musicians and listeners that were lucky enough to know or listen to her. 38 years later - she is still my rock 'n' roll queen. I love you, Max!
 
 
Maxanne at the WBCN air studio on Stuart Street, 1971. (c) 1971, 2009 William J. Spurlin.
Thanks Bill.
 
 

 *** Charles Laquidara was a pioneer WBCN personality. I grew up listening to him as the morning host of The Big Mattress and eventually became his radio-brother, friend and regular replacement-host when he took one of his astounding number of days off. Someone had to do the "Dirty Work". He (and Duane Ingalls Glasscock) helped make Boston the #1 radio city in America - until I left to work at the legendary KOME in San Jose/San Francisco. But that's another story for a different day! Chuck, you made a huge difference in many lives - especially mine!
  

No comments: