Monday, March 18, 2024

Transmission 2124 - The Cockney Was A Rebel

 
Steve Harley
1951 - 2024

Cockney Rebel

T2124



"Ever thought of dying totally unholy
And can you think of one good reason to remain? "


*My first radio show was called Son Of Rock, Etc. (an early seed of the still running Late Risers Club on WMBR FM). It debuted on WTBS, Cambridge, MA in the Summer of 1976 (I was 20). It was a mixture of the new music just arriving from across the US, the UK, the already vibrant Boston local scene and albums from my library that I loved (everything). I played bands like The Beatles, The Stones, The Monkees, The Stooges, Lou Reed, Roxy Music, The Spiders From Mars and Cockney Rebel. I had earlier read in an article about the latter in the NME that there was a serious rivalry in London between Bowie, Ferry and Steve Harley, so I immediately bought their 1973 debut The Human Menagerie and remain a devotee 51 years later. 

I'm bound to remember you, Steve.

RFW

No comments: